Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 05-31-2007, 07:45 AM #1
----

15 yr Member
----

15 yr Member
Default "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" on HBO

Did anyone happen to watch "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" on HBO last weekend? The American Indians I know who watched it were pretty furious over the inaccuracies - especially those from the Standing Rock and Cheyenne River reservations.

HBO usually does a good job with historical films (Rome, Band of Brothers) and films in general (Sopranos, etc.). They missed an excellent opportunity with this one.

Why do you think so little effort was put into this?

If you liked it, what did you like about the film?
KathyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-31-2007, 08:00 AM #2
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Hi Kathy

nope...didnt see it. I would have watched had I known it was on. Are they repeating it? I watch so little TV these days!

I have found that usually when there are inaccuracies, it is either bias or lack of adequate research on a subject. So often people who claim to be "authorities" on a subject, are really just firm in their own opinion, rather than educated on all aspects of it eh!

How is your friend LaDonna, Kathy? I think of her often and the many wise and challenging things she shared with us on the other sss, as well as remembering the many things she and her people suffer.

do give her my greetings when you next speak to her.

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Chemar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:17 AM #3
----

15 yr Member
----

15 yr Member

Thanks Cheri.

LaDonna is still having a very hard time. She carries the burden of so many people, and she's not well herself.

She is livid over this production. It wasn't even filmed here (filmed in Canada), and it would have been easy for them to consult with the Lakota if they had any concern about accuracy. They also could have just followed the book by the same title - it is accurate.

Sitting Bull was their leader, and they still honor him. When I visited with her at Standing Rock, she took me to his grave site. He did everything he could to protect his people and the Black Hills, and he loved them dearly. This film portrayed him to look like an evil dictator. He NEVER whipped his people, and he NEVER forced anyone to die in Canada.

They also made the "Battle" of Wounded Knee look like an accident. It may have started by accident, but those soldiers hunted those women and children and unarmed men down. They knew exactly what they were doing (killing innocent people). There was no mention in the film that the soldiers received Medals of Honor for their "bravery" against the "savages." There was no mention the ribbon still hangs in the Color Guard in Washington. There was no mention of the current attempt at genocide today.

LaDonna has been such a dear friend to me for many years now. She gives everything she has to her friends and loved ones. Why is SHE considered a "greasy savage?"
Old 05-31-2007, 10:29 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

From my side of the fence it matters not if this film was made in Canada or the United States or elsewhere for that matter. It was a combined effort and the actors are a mix of both contries as are all of us who bear the designated name of first nations.

While the story cold have been made in the Black Hills or Saskatchewan for that matter, as sitting Bull lived in many places, it is not of importance.

The story is based on a time frame that has to be altered to fit the story and in some cases the story to fit the time frame. Things do get altered or eliminated altogether and sometimes it doesn't work to the advantage of one side or another.

But it was made and it did get shown and that is to be noticed. We are in Canada many many different and differing tribes and not any one of are as huge as some in the USA. But the film was made here and that says a lot to me.

To recognize that the first nations people are not saints or sinners or princesses and tallchiefs is good. The kids of today need to find in themselves a comon factor that is based on their lives as they are today and not 100 years ago. A life then that is a fiction of the actual reality of those years.

The kids are not stupid and they see where the challenges lie to their nations and to keep up this talk of genocide only tells them that it is hopeless and they are of no value as the world is against them.

No one person of today should take on the past history and run with it. We don't know the facts and I dont thik we ever will. We only have a few written words to go by and the rest is another story told by people who had the need to appear as heroes to their countymen.

But the past is past and the only good is from proof of land claims settlements such as going on here now in Canada to be proven. the individual happenings are long gone from the site of our sisters and brothers lives and now only related through the words of another which are tainted.

Adam Leach is one of the best actors around nowdays and could be anything he wants to be but he wants to take time off and become chief of his tribe in Manitoba. He ran last year and lost because he had not lived there for years and the people didn't know enough about him nor he them. so he has studied and lived amongst them and will run again.

Now if this is a sample of the young people of today then tell your friend she has no worries of the future for us. Lift off that burden of guilt as it belongs to those who lived long ago and is not hers to bear.

There really are no heroes in any kind of war and to continue to fight in your mind and heart about those who fought in the past has taken it's tole on the people and helped us loose the spirit we needed to continue on.

But that time is past. Stories are being told now and while they may not be as accurate as we would like they definitely are not of the much ballyhood bull that Kevin Kostner made. That was a farce but this one is a serious attempt to find a market for the ones to follow and they will follow with more and more accuracy as this one showed.

There are no heroes only dead human beings made to resemble that which never existed. They were simple human beings with all the frailities of us all.

Thelma whos Father was Tyendinaga Mohawk Six Nations Deseronto Ontario Canada

ps

I think you were the one to put in a link to the Aboriginal Beauty pageant that showed one of the six nations girls as a runner up. i didn't like that as that lis one aspect of life that is demeaning and not one I hope to see much of. But hey that is me and this was my opinon and who knows I may be wrong.

just kidding lol lol lol lol

pps
I just saw your ending and that term reflects the past and not today so why use it. I don't think I am such a thing and her neither but who knows maybe my great great grandmother was as the creams from todays boutiques were not availabe to them and my skin even now is really dry. But no fats for me it's Este Lauder all the way lol
Thelma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 11:27 AM #5
----

15 yr Member
----

15 yr Member

Thanks Thelma.

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't believe it's appropriate to expect Indians to forget the past. Why is it okay for some groups to say "never forget," but not American Indians?

I know they weren't all saints, but I'm not so sure I'd be saintly if someone tried to take over my land or harm my family. I've never been starved long enough to know if I'd ever attempt to steal food.

I can understand why they feel they are still under attack today. They are still fighting for their lives today in so many areas, and no one seems to care. The uranium issue I posted below alone is one of them. My friend and the tribes have been fighting this (uranium in drinking water) for over a decade. The cancer rates are through the roof with her people.

What type of response do they get? Yet another mining company, Powertech, has just been given approval to start mining for uranium in the Black Hills. They've already begun drilling, and plan to drill 155 exploratory wells. The runoff from this mining will go directly into the water source of the Lakota people there. Approval was granted before the Lakota had a chance to say anything. For them, it's no different than being handed a smallpox-infested blanket to keep them warm.

This is just one issue. There are so many more issues that people don't want to hear about. I can't blame the Indians for feeling the attempt at genocide still exists.

PS: I don't remember saying anything positive about beauty pageants. I'm not a fan of them.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:57 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I don't think you can call it genocide as it is not that the people who live there mattered in the first place.

Big business is the name of the game and to kill or maim is of no importance as that is the name of the game. Iraq is a prime example of dispensible human beings. Who cares how many are killed ther hell they don't even count them.

Land, oil, gas and even water some day soon is what is the fuel of big business, Uranium for power sources is a prime target.

People are of no importance in the long drawn out story of greed.

As long as those who die are celebrated as heros it will seem an honor to die for ones country instead of living and dyingin the natural progress of life and death.

We have our heros and our enemies, whoever they are supposed to be, have theirs as well. Yet no one can satisfy the reasons why one or the other is in the right and I bellieve all are in the wrong.

No war has ever been fought for the little people thre has always been one of the above mentioned reasons.

To me it is the most fundamentally wrong assumptions of this world that there are countries needed in the long scheme of life on this planet. As all are learning you can not stop man from moving anywhere he wants to go and still be sure of what his purpose is in going there. The borders surrounding any country can't be for containing those that are already there and so must have access to others. There is no way of maintaining security in any country till that country adopts the policy of doing no harm to others and then peace will reign and someday governements will be enlarged in their desire to see peace as a worthwhile investement.

See I use the term investement because as it is now peace is not seen as a good investement and there is lots of money to be made from wars all over the world.

It has always befuddled my mind how Canada can send 'Peacekeepers' to a war zone.

And under the auspices of the United Nations at that. United in what war or peace?

But then how can they be 'United' if there are vetos for the wealthy few.

Oh you have taken my mind from me as I could go on for pages once I get started here.

Sorry about the ranting

Take care of YOU and YOURS and all else will fall into it's rightfull place
Old 05-31-2007, 12:36 PM #7
----

15 yr Member
----

15 yr Member

Thelma

I've been known to rant a time or two myself. I appreciate your rant and what you had to say.

It makes me nervous when human beings get labeled with names like "savage," "insurgent," even "enemy." It takes away the humanity. IMO, it forces people to repeat mistakes or consider murder honorable.

Below is an article that was written 100 years ago - not really that long ago. It could apply today throughout the world, only with names and location changed.

"The Last Of Sitting Bull"
St. Louis Republic, St. Louis, Missouri
Wednesday, Dec. 17, 1890

The death of Sitting Bull removes one of the obstacles to civilization. He was a greasy savage, who rarely bathed and was liable at any time to become infected with vermin. During the whole of his life he entertained the remarkable delusion that he was a free-born American with some rights in the country of his ancestors. Under this delusion, when civilized immigrants pushed over the Black Hills country in search of gold he considered them trespassers on the lands of his people and tried to keep them out. He was engaged in this absurd and wicked attempt when General Custer surprised his camp in the interests of civilization. Unfortunately for civilization General Custer was mistaken in the number of the savages who had assembled to fight for the land, which they foolishly believed was their birthright, and "a massacre" ensued. That is, it was one of those rare occasions when savagery for the moment had the best of it in a pitched battle with civilization. It was, of course, only for the moment, and Sitting Bull and his followers, who might have been easily and legally hanged as murderers, were granted a temporary respite.

This graciousness of the Great Father they have constantly abused by obstructing civilization in every possible way, especially in the worst way possible by trying to keep their land in a state of barbarism, and by insisting on their own understanding of treaties, regardless of necessary changes in translation into a highly civilized language, and of necessary amendments made in Congress. They have gone on holding ghost dances, complaining about the rations issued to them under treaties, objecting to the way their money was handled by the government, and it is charged on excellent civilized authority, actually stealing from civilized people who have settled on their lands.

Under such circumstances there could have been only one ending for Sitting Bull, and now that it has come he has no complaint to make. There is every reason to believe, therefore, that it was perfectly satisfactory to him. He himself had recognized it as inevitable and had fully made up his mind to it, preferring it to death in what in his barbaric way he called the "stone houses of the Great Father," meaning thereby the penitentiaries in which the Great Father, with the aid of Hon. Powell Clayton, Hon. Poker J. McClure and others of his Sanhedrin, attempts on occasion to incarcerate those who disagree with him in such a way as to inconvenience him.

So when Sitting Bull was surprised and overpowered by the agents of the Great Father, he set his greasy, stolid face into the expression it always took when he was most overcome by the delusion that he was born a native American from native American ancestry. Disarmed and defenceless he sat in the saddle in which he had been put as a preliminary to taking him to prison, and without a change of countenance urged his handful of greasy followers to die free. This idiotic proceeding he kept up until he was shot out of the saddle.

So died Sitting Bull. So was removed one of the last obstacles in the path of progress. He will now make excellent manure for the crops, which will grow over him when his reservation is civilized.

The work of redeeming these excellent lands from barbarism has now reached a point where it can be at once carried to completion. The filth and vermin-infested Sioux and other savages who have pretended a desire to live even under starvation rations and broken treaties will be persuaded by Sitting Bull's example, and a little skillful management of the same kind which converted him from a brutal savage into a good Indian, to stand up where they can be shot out of the way of advancing progress.

Mr. Harrison should continue to act with the same promptness and firmness he has shown in Sitting Bull's case. While one of these barbarians lives to claim an acre of unentered land in the United States he will remain as an obstacle to progress. A firm persistence by the President in the admirably progressive policy he has illustrated in Sitting Bulls case will make good Indians of all the rest of them, bucks, squaws and pappooses. And the future historian will say of them, no doubt, that they died justly, because they owned lands and would not use fine-toothed combs."
Old 05-31-2007, 04:16 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I do admit it has been for us a sick world but now it is for many. When will it stop? In my opinion never as we are still to stupid or used to being down trodden to make any pertinant changes, but now they are doing it to each other and the reaction there is the same only now they call it a political game = politics.

You will do it my way or else................eg Iraq
Old 05-31-2007, 05:26 PM #9
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member
Young Senior Elder Member

15 yr Member

It's interesting that you two ladies would be discussing this today...No, I didn't see the HBO program..but I ran into an old (really old...older than me) friend in the store this morning and he is a history buff and somehow, right there in the middle of the grocery aisle he started to try to educate me on the Life of Chief Joseph Brant.

45 mins. wasn't long enough but it sent me to Google and some facinating reading.

http://www.earlyamerica.com/review/1998/brant.html

I'm trying to get a copy of Isabel Thompson Kelseys book..Joseph Brant
1743-1807 Man of two worlds. I think I'll need the libraries help.

He followed up with a call this evening to tell me about Adam Helmers run.
Facinating stuff!

Alffe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:59 AM #10
----

15 yr Member
----

15 yr Member

Just came out today this film tops the list with 17 Emmy nominations. Why? Is it because it is yet another thorn in the sides of our American Indians?

If anything good comes of this, I hope it gets people to read the book.