advertisement

Old 12-29-2008, 07:33 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Sssssssh....the subject we don't like to talk about...

BLADDER ISSUES!!!!! Help!!! Please, what do you all do -- mainly women who are spms and in a "chair" all the time??? Currently I'm taking oxybutynin and the LDN helps somewhat......in the past I've tried enablex too. However, being I can't feel those muscles I don't realize that I have to "go" until it's too late. Even when wearing the latest in disposable underwear, it's not enough to hold back the flood when I stand up. This keeps me from going places, like to a mall, out to dinner once in a blue moon or to an up-coming concert I'd really love to go to. For men they have those little "baggie" things, but what's up for us?? Also it's a big problem when I'm sleeping. Even if I don't drink any fluids anywhere close to bedtime, you'd think I'd had a case of Pepsi before sleeping!

I thought with so many with MS, just the opposite was true. Why is my system so odd?? Many MS people deal with constipation -- nope, just the opposite most of the time. Any suggestions??

Thank you all for being there since the docs don't seem to have a clue where this is concerned!

.....Judy
SPMS -- FIBROMYALGIA -- Ouch! and Ouch!
Judy2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 12-29-2008, 08:03 PM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

I'm so sorry, Judy.. Have you seen a Uroligist(sp) You probably have a neurogenic bladder? There may be something they can do?

I have a problem both ways, but not as severe as yours and, like you say, LDN helps a lot.

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

~If The World Didn't Suck, We Would All Fall Off~
SallyC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:21 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi, Judy. Sorry to hear about your troubles! Because of my MS I suffer the same symptom, but not always as severe as yours.
I agree with Sally, see an urologist. I had an urodynamics (sp) procedure done which showed my bladder wasn't emptying completely. The doctor prescribed a medication that helps the bladder relax and empty completely so I hardly ever have a leakage problem.

As you know, everyone is different and maybe after seeing an urologist you will find an answer that will help you.

Monica
Foggy Brain is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 07:10 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Judy,
I don't have any advice or answers, just wanted you to know I'm thinking of you and hoping you find some solutions soon.

I too have recently had a bladder issue but nothing like what you are experiencing.

Snoods

"Probable MS" Symptoms since winter 1996/97
Cervical Spinal Stenosis
Hashimoto's Disease
Fibromyalgia

Some days you're the windshield.... some days you're the bug.
snoodles is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:55 AM #5
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I'm in a chair, can toilet myself, on Vesicare (4 years now?), had some accidents before I went from walker (S.....l.....o.....w) to much faster chair, although I'm PPMS, seems a little better now (1 year), see a urologist, self-cathering not end of world - Easy I hear-and I do go out, but drive home I always wish we were closer and going faster. MSers always seem to go either way, too much or too little. Everyone so different. See a Urologist!!
kicker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:33 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Judy,

When my wife was alive, she had the same problem as you do. Using the Tena underwear and then placing two Poise ultra absorbent pads (slightly overlapping)in the Tena worked quite well. Hope this suggestion helps.

Harry
Harry Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:30 AM #7
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I have the same issue, but I suspect not as extreme or constant as you.

I agree with everyone else about going to the urologist. That's what I have to do in the new year . . . so if I beat you to doing that, I'll let you know what I find out.

Cherie
Old 12-31-2008, 10:47 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judy View Post
BLADDER ISSUES!!!!! Help!!! Please, what do you all do -- mainly women who are spms and in a "chair" all the time??? Currently I'm taking oxybutynin and the LDN helps somewhat......in the past I've tried enablex too. However, being I can't feel those muscles I don't realize that I have to "go" until it's too late. Even when wearing the latest in disposable underwear, it's not enough to hold back the flood when I stand up. This keeps me from going places, like to a mall, out to dinner once in a blue moon or to an up-coming concert I'd really love to go to. For men they have those little "baggie" things, but what's up for us?? Also it's a big problem when I'm sleeping. Even if I don't drink any fluids anywhere close to bedtime, you'd think I'd had a case of Pepsi before sleeping!

I thought with so many with MS, just the opposite was true. Why is my system so odd?? Many MS people deal with constipation -- nope, just the opposite most of the time. Any suggestions??

Thank you all for being there since the docs don't seem to have a clue where this is concerned!
Are you drinking any caffeine containing drinks such as coffee, tea, or sodas? When I drink even one caffeinated drink, I cannot control my bladder.

Oxybutynin works for me and without it I would not be able to leave the house. However, any type of non decaf beverage will override the positive effects of the med.

gmi
gonnamakeit is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (12-31-2008)
Old 01-01-2009, 03:03 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks sooooo much you all for the many suggestions and encouragement. I'll write each of you later. It's about 3 am and I'm having my son and his family here later today so have to hit the sack. He was on call at the hospital Christmas, so we're celebrating today.

Thank you all again!!

Hugs.........

.....Judy
SPMS -- FIBROMYALGIA -- Ouch! and Ouch!
Judy2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (01-01-2009)
Old 01-02-2009, 09:47 PM #10
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I know you wanted responses from women but my Olhipie had the same problems. He did the self cath thing for a while but eventually went to using an indwelling catheter all the time. He didn’t mind much at all. He had used this for about four years before we met. About three years ago he has a suprapubic catheter put in. He was having so many leakage problems that we had to do something. Things have been great! I know these are very huge actions to take. I would do what everyone else has suggested…talk to the urologist.

My honey tells me all the time when we travel that I need to use a catheter with a leg bag so we can make better time and less stops…lol. I told him then he wouldn’t get as much ice cream treats and candy when I stop for a bathroom break…silly guy!!!!

“Being my sweethearts full-time care partner, I have to remind myself, when some well-meaning friend or relative questions my methods or motives, that I know more than they do because I Live this life 24/7, and they only come for short visits.” Tamiloo

Gotta love my Olhipie! Dx'd RRMS 1986, SPMS 2004

Watch my Olhipie Skiing....

tamiloo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SandyC (01-05-2009)